Saturday, July 10, 2010

Scratching the Surface

It's a new blog, nothing like the old blog. Here I'm looking to explore the creative, the emotional, the sensual, the repressed, the ignored, and the blocked. I hope at various times it will be experimental, self-indulgent, erotic, offensive, playful, open, honest, and witty. And I hope that at times you won't be sure if it's fact or fiction.

While I search to see if I have anything of my own left to say, it seems a good place to begin might be by looking back at some of the creative works which struck me hardest and deepest in times gone by. Some were works of the moment, such as dance performances and music concerts--these live in hazy memory of the impression and emotion and sometimes drug of the moment. More were turned into products to be purchased with the benefit of being easily reread, rewatched, reheard, reexamined, and reinterpreted. Many of these were books and films, but most of my copies have been resold now and the rest are in storage.

Which leaves the digitized music on my computer as the easiest choice to start with, the former compact discs which were former tapes which were former albums. The obvious drawback of discussing songs you may never have heard is that you miss the context the music provides the lyrics, and often in those golden days, the context the album provided the song. When I can find them, I'll provide links for listening. But in the end, this is likely to be more about memoir, some real, some fantasy, than music anyway.

Taking a look at some of the music I have, I might be writing words inspired by Ben Webster, Billie Holiday, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Bruce Cockburn, Cat Stevens, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Danny O'Keefe, the Doors, Fiftymen, Fred Eaglesmith, Jerry Garcia and bands, George Harrison and John Lennon, Greg Brown and Jackson Browne, Kris Kristofferson, Nina Simone, Patty Griffin, Paul Simon, Richard Thompson, the Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Tom Waits, Utah Phillips, War, the Waterboys, or Willy DeVille. The starting point for each post may be a song, a mood, or a memory.

Realistically, I don't know how often I'll be working on this writing now, and it will be even less frequently that I'll post something here. I'm not in the best of circumstances to work on this at the moment, and I mean that in both a good and bad way with both many wonderful distractions and also limited privacy/solitude. When the second factor improves, there will probably be a lot more action here. For now, I mostly wanted to steal the blog name, which comes from a Patty Griffin song (Mad Mission), before anyone else did.

No comments: