Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bozeman Chronicles

That's a little inside joke after the name of the newspaper here.

This has been the longest I've ever spent in Bozeman. I can now say that it's a cleaner, happier, healthier, prettier, safer town than Duluth. If I were younger (and cleaner, happier, healthier, prettier, and safer), I'd want to buy myself an Outback and move here. But since I'm not, Duluth looks more like home again, even though I like it much less than when I first moved there because I think it has a much grittier urban feel to it now.

I did some brief trail hiking this morning, which I haven't done much because of the amount of sidewalk walking I have to do here. It was a nice crisp morning, with mallards and flickers and blackbirds. It was nice to see some deciduous trees, even though they're bare or barely budding at this time. Some dark red color caused my mind to automatically think sumac before I realized it was aspen catkins.

Two bus companies are currently providing replacement service after the government shutdown of the company which I've used for the past few years. One uses vans pulling trailers for luggage, and the one which goes to Minnesota comes through here at 3 AM and gets to Minneapolis at midnight requiring an overnight stay before I could get to Duluth. Obviously, I hope the situation changes before October.

I was fantasizing this morning about getting on a bus to somewhere other than back to the park, and might do it if not for all the stuff and money I have there. My situation there has deteriorated to working the same low-paying job all year in a department I no longer respect. When I started in that department, I felt the emphasis was on accuracy, efficiency, and helping people. Now it's about sales and wringing an extra $50 out of people, and I've been warned to sell more. Most of the people who've worked there as long as I have feel the same way. There are many possible upcoming changes for me, and all I'm certain of is that 2014 will not be spent the same way 2013 is being spent.


2 comments:

Allan Stellar said...

Been catching up on your blog. Man I like the way you write. Gripping. Courage!

greentangle said...

Thanks, Allan.